Question: How can I achieve the cat eye makeup look?
Answer: Since starlets like Elizabeth Taylor, Audrey Hepburn, Brigitte Bardot and Sophia Loren popularized the cat eye in the 1950’s and 1960’s, beauty-conscious ladies have been trying to recreate this iconic look on their own. Whether you want to create a look that’s flirty, sexy, retro, or sweet—the perfect cat eye can be your best friend.
1. Start with the right product. Eyeliner pencils won’t give you the crisp lines that make the cat eye so classic, so try a liquid eyeliner (in black, or course!). Liquid pens like Benefit Magic Ink Liquid Eyeliner work best. Gel liners like NARS Eye Paint work wonders, too.
2. Prep your lids. Dab your eyelids with a primer or apply a neutral shadow close to your skin’s natural tone. Since the cat eye look is dramatic enough, stay away from bright or bold color on your lids.
3. Start with the wings. With your face close to the mirror, draw the wings—moving upward towards your temple from the outer corner of your eye. Do both eyes before moving to the next step to make sure each eye is even.
4. Line your upper lashes. Starting where your lashes begin, line your top lash line in one quick swoop or by drawing tiny dashes and connecting them.
5. Connect the tip of the winged liner to your lash line. This is where it gets tricky. Draw a tiny, diagonal line connecting the tip of your wing to the top of the line you created in Step 4 and carefully fill this in. Correct mistakes easily with a cotton swab dipped in makeup remover.
6. For a sexier nighttime look, line your bottom lashes. Work from the outer corner inward. You might want to use a pencil for a softer look. (Skip this step for a daytime look.)
7. Finish it off. To complete your look, curl your lashes with an eyelash curler and swipe on a few coats of you favorite mascara. A bright, bold red lipstick is the perfect way to complement this classic look.
– Practice makes perfect! It may take awhile to master this look, so keep trying if you don’t succeed at first.
– Embrace the scotch tape: many cat eye experts swear by this tip! Use two pieces of tape, placing one just above the top of your lash line and the other under your eye diagonally. Make sure the tape overlaps where you want the tip of your wing to end. Fill in the area between the tape pieces with liner and allow it to dry before removing the tape.
– Experiment! There are tons of different variations of the cat eye. Play around to see what works best for you.
Have you tried the cat eye look? What’s your secret to a flawless eye every time?