Question: What’s a great at-home cranberry face mask recipe?
Answer: Whether it’s school finals, graduation, seasonal allergies, or too much spring break fun that has your skin dull and tired, there is a simple (but effective) solution hiding in the produce section of your local grocery store: the cranberry.
We all know cranberries are delicious when paired with Thanksgiving dinner, and that cranberry juice makes a great mixer—but you may not know that cranberries are also great for detoxifying, brightening, smoothing, anti-aging, and moisturizing skin.
Vitamins A and C boast antioxidant properties that help protect skin against damaging environmental pollutants, while also smoothing the skin’s texture. Plus, this little fruit is great for reducing inflammation and redness while also exfoliating and helping the skin to retain moisture. All things considered, it seems like a good idea to swap that cranberry cocktail for a soothing cranberry facial mask instead.
This recipe combines this powerful little fruit with the beautifying properties of honey and lemon for a luxurious spa treatment you can whip up at home.
The cranberry face mask recipe
1) Take ½ cup of fresh cranberries (organic, if possible!) and add them to your blender. We recommend using the whole fruit rather than a bottled juice to reap the benefits found in the skins and pulp, and to avoid the added sugars and coloring found in many juices.
2) Add 2 tablespoons of honey. You may opt for the kind found in the plastic bear bottle, though the raw, unfiltered variety will add more benefits to your mask.
3) Add about 2 tablespoons of lemon juice — preferably fresh squeezed and organic — however, the kind in the lemon shaped bottle also work. Lemon juice also helps tone, exfoliate, and smooth your skin.
4) Blend the ingredients until they form a thin paste, and then add a packet of unflavored gelatin to the mix. You may heat the mixture briefly to help incorporate the gelatin smoothly. The gelatin will dry onto your skin, and will help clear your pores when removed.
5) On freshly cleansed and gently dried skin, use a fan brush or similar tool to apply the mask evenly and accurately. Using a clean brush prevents bacteria from being transferred from your fingers to your face, and adds a luxurious spa-like feel to the application process (and who wouldn’t want that?).
6) Leave the mask on your skin for 15 minutes, then rinse gently with lukewarm water. Follow with a moisturizer.
7) Admire your glowing new complexion!