Question: How do you curl your hair with a flat iron?
Answer: Yes, you read that correctly. You can actually curl your hair using your straightener, giving you just another reason to love that trusty tool. If this technique sounds a bit tricky—don’t fear. I’ve outlined step-by-step instructions on how to curl your hair with a flat iron:
- First, section your hair off into two sections, clipping the top section up and out of the way. Use a thermal protecting spray all over the bottom section to help protect it from the heat of the flat iron (you should use a thermal protector every time you use a heat tool, including your hair dryer).
- Grab a one inch section of hair and clamp the flat iron right near the roots of hair. Now, slowly drag the flat iron down, and once you get about 1/4 of the way down the hair, turn the flat iron away from your face and flip the iron completely over (part of your hair will now be wrapped around the outside of the flat iron).
- Drag the flat iron down slowly and flip the flat iron in the same direction all the way over once again.
- You will now have a small section of hair hanging out – the part that hasn’t been wrapped around the iron yet – that’s good! Keep that section out and drag the flat iron all the way down to the ends of the hair. The hair will slowly become wrapped around the iron as you drag it down.
- Once you’ve reached the ends, release the flat iron and let the hair come out.
- At first our faux curl may look like a wonky wave—just give it a quick twist in the direction that the hair is curling and shape it into more of a spiral, or just give the hair a good shake and the curl will naturally come about.
- Continue curling the rest of the section of hair, unclip the top hair of your hair, and repeat (don’t forget the thermal protector on the top section!).
When you’re done curling your hair, finish with a mist of hair spray. If you want more of a beachy wave look, use a texturizing pomade on the ends of the hair to get that fresh-from-the-ocean look.
Using this technique is a great and easy way to curl your hair and is also great on vacation, as you’ll have one less hair tool to pack with you! Using a straightener also helps smooth your hair and give your curls a more sleek look.