It’s time for sparkles, champagne glasses, velvet bows, and blankets around fireplaces. It’s the holiday season! And while we’re busy stringing Christmas lights and baking ginger cookies, we’re also thinking of just what to wear to all those merry, merry occasions that will be coming up. Holiday parties are in our near future, whether it be going to one hosted at your friend’s cozy apartment or one that your work is throwing at that fancy uptown bar with pink champagne.
And while you’ll be standing in front of your closet, wondering what to wear this time, I’ll ask you this: Instead of going the usual sparkly-dress-route, why don’t you try something a little more unexpected? Here are 5 looks that are just as festive as a sequined frock, but a little more untraditional:
1) Add a dash of sheerness. Just because there’s snow on the ground doesn’t mean the sheer pieces need to go! Choose a romantic dress from your closet and add a touch more dreaminess to the look by layering a sheer maxi skirt over it. In the end you’ll look feminine and delicate, and bonus points if you tie a velvet ribbon around your waist, acting as a belt!
2) Add a cardigan. Take one of your fancier party skirts and deconstruct it by adding a cardigan. Whether it’s another jewel toned cardi to bring out the emerald color in your skirt, and embellished cropped number to amp up the fancy factor, or a casual striped one like I have here, that top layer will definitely add an interesting juxtaposition to the look that’ll make you be memorable.
3) Add a chambray shirt. Take one of your most elegant ball gowns and dress it down by popping a chambray shirt on top and tying the hem into a knot. That way you’ll have a ridiculously elegant skirt, but not be too lady-of-that-ball by having the denim shirt tone down the look. Bonus points if you add a statement necklace into the mix, balancing out the casualness of the top!
4) Add a pompom beanie. Add a touch of quirkiness to your look by pairing your wool dress and turtleneck combo with a cute little pompom beanie. The wintery hat will add a touch more of festivity to your look, and will help you give off a light-hearted, playful vibe.
5) Think plaid! Pair one of your fancier evening skirts with a cozy plaid number. The contrast between elegance and casualness will make for an interesting look, but to balance out the flannel top add a fur collar into the mix. The accessory will add a touch of luxury into the look as well as balance out your warring elements, all the while being festive!