Question: What should I keep in my makeup bag?
Answer: If you’ve ever had a beauty emergency and couldn’t get to your signature makeup tools during a moment where you absolutely needed them, then you probably understand the importance of not only choosing the right makeup, but also choosing the right makeup bag to have on hand when those emergencies occur. A makeup bag doesn’t have to be reserved just for on-the-go—they’re useful for keeping things organized at home, too.
Functional and fashionable, cosmetic bags have gotten a major upgade—like Kate Spade’s large Annabella cosmetic case designed with beauty tips on the exterior or Henri Bendel’s brown and white four-piece cosmetic bag. From travel totes and zip-up pouches to hanging bags, there’s so much variety in design, style, material and color. Once you find a bag that complements your personality and fashion sense, it’s time to load it with the essentials to create your own perfect look. Don’t worry: we’ve compiled a list of the top 10 makeup necessities. The rest is all in the bag.
1. Concealer: A good concealer is crucial when it comes to achieving flawless skin. It covers everything from redness and blemishes to under-eye circles. Match it with your skin tone to blend seamlessly over any imperfections.
2. Foundation: Hopefully your go-to foundation already includes a primer to fill in pores and even out your skin tone. Foundation usually goes on after concealer, so make sure you find a good match for your skin tone.
3. Blush: Blush brightens your complexion. It enhances and adds color to your cheeks, but it should also complement your skin tone. If your skin tone is lighter, use a paler shade of blush.
4. Eyelash Curler: For longer lashes, you need a good eyelash curler that fits the curve of your eye like Tarte’s Picture Perfect eyelash curler.
5. Eyeshadow: To make your eyes pop, use eyeshadow. With an array of colors, it’s easy to coordinate using different palettes.
6. Eyebrow Pencil: Well-defined eyebrows can drastically change your look. Choose a pencil that’s one or two shades darker than your natural hair. And when you apply, use a small brush for blending.
7. Eyeliner: Eyeliner can make or break your look depending on how effectively it’s used. Options include liquid, gel or pencil, but the key is how you apply it. Go for classic black, or if you’re more fair skinned, opt for a dark brown. Light to medium skin tones look great in dark navy.
8. Mascara: Who wouldn’t want long, full lashes? A good waterproof mascara lasts all day. Try black or dark brown for everyday wear.
9. Lipstick: If blush and eyeshadow aren’t your thing, the best and easiest place to inject a pop of color is on your lips. There are so many shades to choose from, so find at least two shades that will work for any occasion.
10. Brushes: Without the right tools, it doesn’t matter what great beauty product you might have. Brushes help with precision. For every type of makeup, there’s a different brush to use. Just make sure to clean them often.
Whether you’re a beauty expert or a makeup novice, it’s important to have these standbys. Of course, the list will vary depending on your individual beauty needs, but these are the tried-and-true basics that will keep you fresh-faced throughout the day and night. Once you fill your cosmetic bag with these essentials, it’ll be so much easier to incorporate more trendy products as you continue to experiment with your style. Your beauty bag is an extension of your personality and says more about you than you think. Not to mention it makes things a bit easier, ladies.
What beauty essentials do you keep in your favorite cosmetic bag?