Question: How do you style a maxi skirt?
Answer: It’s only natural during the summer that our first instinct is to lessen the amount of clothes we wear or shorten hemlines. But this season you can keep cool sans the mini skirt or short shorts (especially if you’re a little shy about showing off those gams) with a trend that’s making a big comeback: the maxi skirt. Although it works year-round, the maxi skirt is perfect for summer because of its lightweight and breezy fabrication—not to mention bright prints and colors. They’re comfortable and versatile, making it easy to add layers or hide layers underneath. And if you’re petite like me and convinced that a maxi skirt only looks great on amazonian beauties, then you couldn’t be more wrong. Maxi skirts are flattering for all shapes and sizes, and they can even make short girls look taller. So, are you ready to max out your summer in style? Read on for a few tips on how to style a maxi skirt—so you can successfully wear this ground-sweeping staple.
First, you should pick a maxi skirt that will enhance your natural body type like these varieties at Urban Outfitters. As a general rule of thumb, the shorter you are—the more slim and narrow your skirt should be to avoid the fabric swallowing up your lower half. Less volume is important here. A high-waisted maxi skirt also gives petite girls the illusion of appearing statuesque. Who wouldn’t want that? But for apple shapes, a flared maxi adds shape and balance. Just avoid high-waisted or belted maxis, so as not to focus on the fullness in the middle. Hourglass figures are lucky because anything goes when it comes to maximum impact in this floor-skimming skirt. Pear-shaped ladies should go for a high-waisted maxi instead of low-waisted or voluminous styles. If you’re straight up and down, a maxi skirt is perfect for accentuating the waist or at least creating the mirage that you have one. Tall and lean girls—it’s all about volume and fullness to add to your shape.
- A floral maxi + basic tee + cardigan = a chic look for spring and summer.
- Try a maxi skirt with a crop top. Depending on where the skirt hits at the waist, it can be sexy and a bit flirty.
- Get sporty by wearing a graphic or vintage tee with a maxi skirt.
- Tuck a chambray or denim shirt into a maxi skirt. Add a belt to cinch the waist for some extra shape.
- Keep things simple with a maxi skirt, white tee and a fun, printed belt.
- Tie your skirt into a knot for an unexpected look at a festival or the beach. For effortless style, tie your t-shirt at the waist and keep the skirt long.
- If you’re the creative type and want to get dual benefits out of your maxi, pull your skirt up to your chest for a cute strapless dress to wear during the evening.
- A loose, off-the-shoulder tee is great for a bohemian-inspired look.
- Feeling a bit playful? Wear a maxi skirt over a romper.
- As far as shoes, maxi skirts look great with sandals or converse sneakers during the day and wedges or platforms at night.
And while you’re probably not thinking about it yet, considering the sweltering temperatures outside, maxi skirts also transition perfectly into fall and winter. Extend your chillier pieces by pairing a maxi skirt with the following:
- For fall, a cozy sweater looks great with a super feminine maxi skirt.
- An easy way to wear a maxi skirt during fall or winter is with a blazer for a more professional, office appropriate look.
- Edgy fashionistas should opt for a sherbet-hued maxi skirt paired with a tough leather jacket and combat boots.
- Dress up a maxi skirt with a button-down shirt and stilettos.
While big in name, styling a maxi actually requires minimal effort. From fancy and floral to sheer and pleated, you can go to great lengths with this trend.
How would you style a maxi skirt?