Vests are like bread. They form the staple of our fashion diet. The best way to wear them? Well, that depends on the occasion. Here’s my guide to styling the undeniable fashion staple and how to dress it up or down.
A simple vest top is a fashion item that will never go out of style. As seasons come and go, certain patterns, colors, or shapes become more popular than others. This season, be sure to put high neck shapes, bohemian patterns, and graphic pop-art prints to the top of your shopping list.
Plain Vest Tops And Layering
Layering is an easy way to add some quirk to your look and opens up a vast number of styling options for your vest. To get you started, here are ten different ways to style vests:
1. Add a crochet open vest to a tank or undershirt.
2. Keep warm on chilly nights with a bomber jacket.
3. Two vests are better than one.
4. Try the denim on denim look.
5. Try a biker jacket vest style for a look with edge.
6. Pile on the statement necklaces to make your vest look fancy.
7. Layer bright shades of white.
8. Wear a denim vest for a throwback look.
9. Layer a collared shirt underneath your vest for the colder weather.
10. Wear all-over neutral tones.
What Bottoms to Pair with Vests
The great thing about vest tops is that you can wear them with absolutely anything on your bottom half. Successful styling all comes down to considering the shape of the vest top, and combining it with the perfect bottom-half partner. Here is some inspiration:
1. Tuck in a tight fitting vest into high-waisted trousers, shorts, or skirts.
This combination is the ultimate figure-flatterer. Show off that waistline with a tight-fitting vest and a high-waisted silhouette.
2. Wear baggy or over-sized vests over tight fitting trousers, leggings, or denim shorts.
A vest that is too short to be considered a dress looks great over leggings or tight trousers. Try combining plain vests with printed leggings and vice versa.
3. Team crop vests with high-waist bottoms.
Keep the flesh at a classy level by combining cropped vests with high-waist bottoms. Still too much flesh? Add a kimono!
4. Mix and match patterns.
Mix up your prints by selecting a vest and bottoms in different prints. Just make sure they’re in the same color palette to avoid a massive clash! For an in-depth guide on mixing prints, click here.
5. Go Co-Ord!
Co-ords are this season’s must-have item! Combine your vest with a skirt or shorts of the same print to rock the coordinated look.
6. If all else fails, wear your vest with denim shorts!
How do you style your vest?